At Sequoia Brass & Copper, we supply a broad selection of brass, bronze, and copper alloys to customers in a variety of industries. One of our core brass offerings is 360 brass.
360 brass—also referred to as free-machining brass—is a copper-zinc alloy known for having the highest machinability among all of the copper alloys and exceptional strength and corrosion resistance. Below, we provide an overview of the key properties and typical applications of this material.
Properties of 360 Brass
360 brass consists of approximately 61.5% copper, 35.5% zinc, 3% lead, and 0.35% iron. This combination of elements results in the following material characteristics:
- Tensile Strength of 58,000 psi and Yield Strength of 45,000 psi. 360 brass demonstrates high tensile and yield strength, which allows it to maintain its structural integrity even in some of the most demanding conditions.
- Corrosion resistance. Unlike steel and iron, 360 brass is highly resistant to corrosion. This property, combined with its strength, makes it one of the most commonly used copper alloys.
- Machinability rating of 100. 360 brass has the highest machinability rating of all copper alloys. As a result, it readily accommodates various machining operations, making it easy for manufacturers to create various designs and shapes.
- Density of 0.307 lb/in3. The high density of 360 brass makes it well-suited for use in heavy industrial parts.
Applications of 360 Brass
Due to its smooth and gold-like appearance, 360 brass is commonly used for decorative elements and structures. However, its strength, corrosion resistance, and density also make it well-suited for use in the manufacture of functional parts and products since components made from the material can withstand regular and rigorous use. Examples of common uses for the material include:
- Screw machine parts, such as nuts, bolts, couplings, connectors, valve stems, and pump shafts
- Musical instruments, such as horns, trombones, trumpets, and tubas
- Electrical equipment parts, such as hardware and contacts
- Plumbing system components, such as adapters, connectors, fittings, pump shafts, and valve stems
- Central heating system parts, such as adapters, fittings, and valves
360 Brass Offerings From Sequoia Brass & Copper
At Sequoia Brass & Copper, we offer 360 brass in bar and rod form. These products are available in the following sizes:
Hex Bars: 12 inches to 72 inches (length) and 0.25 inch to 1.875 inches (thickness)
Square Bars: 12 inches to 72 inches (length) and 0.25 inch to 2 inches (thickness)
Rectangular Bars: 36 inches to 72 inches (length), 0.25 inch to 4 inches (width), and 0.125 inch to 1.5 inches (thickness)
Rods: 6 inches to 72 inches (length) and 0.125 inch to 9 inches (outer diameter)
Contact Sequoia Brass & Copper Today
360 brass is a highly rated copper-zinc alloy that exhibits excellent strength, corrosion resistance, and machinability. If you require 360 brass or another brass, bronze, or copper alloy for your next project, turn to the experts at Sequoia Brass & Copper.
At Sequoia Brass & Copper, we have over three decades of experience supplying high-quality non-ferrous materials, including 360 brass. To learn more about our 360 brass offerings, visit our 360 brass catalog page or submit a request for information. For more information about our general material offerings or assistance choosing one for your application, contact us or request a quote today. Our team is always ready and willing to answer and address any questions or concerns.